All About The APA StyleMarch 03, 2014 - Posted to Styles And Formats
Are you enrolled in a social science course and was tasked to write something in connection to it? Are you having some difficulties in the process and you feel like surrendering particularly with the referencing style? Worry no more because this article will tell you everything that you need to know about the format required in writing. This is all about the APA style or the American Psychological Association format.
In writing your paper and in citing your sources, it will be best if you are going to check out some annotated bibliography examples APA. It will give you a lot of idea about how to properly compose it. You will intelligently use your time instead of focusing on some definitions which does not even contain APA format outline example. You can find a lot of those especially on the internet. The other sample sources that you may want to try are in books, journals, newspapers and others.
It is very important to understand though that seeing some APA style outline example is just a portion of it. You will need to understand the basics when it comes to the APA style (American Psychological Association). You cannot just devote 100% of your time in reading the examples.
The APA Format
The APA style is usually used in citing the sources in social science writings. It was introduced about eighty years ago by some social scientists. Here are the general guidelines for you:
- It should be set into double-space with the paper of standard size (8.5 x 11). The margins should be set at one inch in every side. It is advisable that you use the Times New Roman or other easily readable font when typing your paper. Such is quite obvious when you see some APA format outline template samples.
- You should also include a running head or the page header. This is found on top portion in all pages. In placing the running head, insert the number of the pages properly. You will then need to type in the paper’s title at the flush left header. The title should be in all caps. It can also be seen easily in every proper sample papers in APA format.
About the List of References
The references should be shown in the bibliography or reference list section of the paper. Here are the points to consider when making your bibliography:
- The details should be alphabetically arranged. This should be based on the surname or last name of the authors. If ever the author is not named, the title should be the basis in arranging it alphabetically. This can be seen in every APA outline format template for bibliography.
- Put in the last name or the surname together with the authors’ initials. Make use of & instead of “and” when it comes to sources with multiple authors.
- Only the first word of the title or subtitle should be in capital letters. Added to that is the names which are deemed part of the title.
- In pagination, make use of p. / pp. for page numbers from periodicals which are not using volume numbers. That is especially true when it comes to newspapers.
- The first line of every entry should be indented in the left.
- Italics are much preferred that underlining the titles of the sources. That can be seen in some APA outline sample.
The Advantages of the APA Style
It makes your paper look professional. That is not just limited to checking the APA sample title page but in its entirety. Because the paper is structured since it has followed a specific format, your professors will find it much easier to assess and read your paper. There is no need to spend a lot of time just to understand a particular portion of its content.
There will also e no need for you to invent the format. As can be seen in every sample APA format essay, a paper that follows a formal citation style makes it easier for the student-writer to write the paper. No need to just guest about the size of the margins, the size of the fonts, how the citations should be written and others. All you have to do is follow the APA style itself as seen in the samples including the sample annotated bibliography APA.
With the APA style, you are also allowed to insert some images into the content. You will find a lot of images when you check out some APA research proposal example. That also includes the graphs, tables and others. Inserting some images or graphics will make it much easier to prove or state your point.
Again, seeing some reliable APA article critique example will make your perspective much clearer when writing a paper with the said style. Searching for APA style outline template will also help significantly. You will no longer need to worry with what you need to do about what you have already written. It only means that you can solely focus on the content of your paper.
You can find every sample that you need including research proposal example APA as well as sample title page APA. That is also true with the sample research proposal APA. Once you have learned the form as you write your paper, it will become easier the next time you do it. You will just realize that you are making reliable texts which could be in another’s citation.