Right Usage Of Chicago StyleMarch 12, 2014 - Posted to Styles And Formats
For history and humanities, the Chicago style research paper is mostly utilized. This is most liked by the people who would always want the traditional way of writing the end note or footnotes. However, for the social sciences, physical and natural, an author date system for in-text citations would be recommended. Such would be similar with the use of APA and MLA formats.
The Chicago research paper format follows some basic formats. It consists of the margins, spacing, paragraph, font size and others. It is very important for anyone using this type of style to always adhere to its format. Beginners may find it a bit complicating to use. However, with proper knowledge and information, this can be written well. Below are some of the basic details to get familiar with.
Margin, spacing and paragraph
- The margins for research paper Chicago style must be set at no more than 1 ½ inch and not less than an inch on all sides. This applies to all expect for the page numbers.
- Except for the footnotes, block quotations, bibliography and end notes, the essay part should be in double space. The in between paragraphs must not have any extra blank lines.
- The sources and notes (end notes and footnotes) for research paper format Chicago style should be written in alphabetical order on the bibliography page. This must be in single space and an extra line between each should appear.
- For every new paragraph written, the first line should be indented on the left at an inch. The set-off block quotations should be indented to the left at one inch.
Font style and size
- Always use font style that is used on standard papers like the Times New Roman. If your professor specifies a certain style, simply follow it.
- Preferably, the font size should be at 12 pt. Make sure that it will not be less than 10 pt.
- For the footnotes, font size set at 10 pt. is preferable. This should be in the same type like that of the body of the paper.
- The page numbers must be half inch from the top of the paper. Flush it with a right margin. Arabic numbers must be used rather than spelling it. Never precede it with the letter ‘p’ or word ‘page’.
- If there is a title page, do not number it as page 1. The first page starts with the first page of the content.
Spaces between the sentences
The rule to follow for the Chicago style research paper format is not to put two spaces between sentences so as to improve the readability. This is as opposed to the usual way of using non-proportional fonts and typewriters. If using a computer, using one space between sentences must be used.
- The usual sample research paper Chicago style consists of titles between 7 and 15 words.
- The title should be carefully thought of so as to come up with something t hat will perfectly match the body. It is good to remember that it is not advisable to start the title like: Essay # 1. Keep in mind that the title must be able to give the readers a hint or idea of what the paper is about.
- The usage of title and subtitle like what is seen in most Chicago style research paper template is considered as a common academic device that can give the paper a touch of elegance. It must be separated with a colon. Put the title on one line and then followed by a colon. The subtitle must then be typed in the next lines.
- If the Chicago style research paper sample is used, all papers exceeding 5 pages must have a separate title page or unless instructed by the instructor.
- The title should be centered at about third way down from the upper margin of the page.
- If a single line is exceeded, it must break naturally.
- Subtitles go on the following line after the title. It must also be in both lines with single spacing.
- The title must be in all caps.
The title must not have a period.