Some Details About Dissertation FormatMay 02, 2014 - Posted to Styles And Formats
In writing dissertations, it is not enough that the content is written well. Of course, just like any other academic paper, it follows a certain format. The format should be followed well so as for the professor to be impressed with the paper. This is called the dissertation formatting. Below are some of the things to learn more about it.
Quality of the print and copy
Make sure that the printer will produce consistent copies like black letters and correct margins. Another necessary thing for tables, drawings, pictures and etc is the sufficient darkness. This can be in original format or copies. It is required for append or insert in the manuscript.
Generally, 12 pt is the standard font size for dissertation proposal format. Others may accept 10 pt but quite frankly, it can be very small and hard to read for many. However, smaller font size can be used for tables and other figures.
The use of underlines and italics can be ideal for book titles, statistical symbols or even definitions.
It is not ideal to justify the right margin of the content. Make sure that it is aligned.
Here are the margins that must be followed to make sure that ease of reading is achieved and appropriate binding.
- Left margin: all pages should be at one and one-half inch.
- Right margin: all pages should be one and one-half inch without any intrusion of letters.
- Top margin: except for the first page, all pages should have one and one quarter inches. The acknowledgements, table of contents, list of tables, figures, chapters, bibliography and the appendices should start with 2 inches from the top of the paper.
- Bottom margin: all pages must have one and one fourth inches.
- The page numbers for all the pages that follows the page 1 of the first chapter must have three quarters of an inch from the page bottom part. It must also be centered between the left and right margins.
- The page numbers from chapter 1 till the last page of the appendix must have three quarters of one inch from the bottom or top and should be centered between both sides of margins.
Those are basically some of the few things that everyone must know about dissertation format. There are still a lot to be remembered. By browsing the web and checking out samples and templates can help with the learning process.